Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Farewell First World

I wish I could think of something clever or important to say in my inaugural blog post but I don't really have time for anything fancy. I only have a day and a half to pack for this two-year ordeal and so far I can't say I'm anywhere close to being prepared--as far as luggage goes at least. Mentally, I'm already there. And if I could only keep my illusions straight, I wouldn't bring anything but my guitar and a toothbrush. Unfortunately, as the reality of this ordeal draws near, I'm starting to appreciate my (normally undisturbed) attachment to my laptop, ipod, clean clothes and brand-name soaps.

Anyway, this post is, hopefully, the first of many. I'm still not sure how much access I'll have to the internet or electricity so it's entirely possible that this whole blog endeavor will flop in a couple weeks. If that's the case, I'll just have to rely on hand-written letters (which, for me, isn't really a devastating compromise).

I also want to thank my friends and family for supporting me. I don't think I would have made it this far if it weren't for all the encouragement and understanding. It's nice to leave home without any regrets, except for the fact that I'm probably missing one hell of a family reunion.

1 comment:

  1. Roger...it sounds so excting and scary all at the same time! We really enjoyed reading your blog....can't wait for the next one!
    Love, aunt robin and uncle Pete
    P.s. You did miss a great family reunion and we missed you!

    ReplyDelete